Newcastle University was founded in 1834 and currently offers 200 undergraduate and 260 postgraduate and research degrees. The University has 23 academic schools in 3 faculties with a total of approximately 17,000 students and 4,000 staff. World leading or internationally recognised research was found in all submitted research areas in the most recent UK Research Assessment exercise.
The work for RUBICON will be carried out in the Institutes of Genetic Medicine (IGM) and Cellular Medicine (ICM), which together have a critical mass of experienced scientists. The University is well suited for accepting overseas students on short term placements by providing advice on practicalities. The participating group led by Professor Mike Briggs currently involves 3 senior staff, 3 post-docs, 6 PhD students and 2 technicians.
1. Piróg KA, Irman A, Young S, Halai P, Bell PA, Boot-Handford RP, Briggs MD. Abnormal chondrocyte apoptosis in the cartilage growth plate is influenced by genetic background and deletion of CHOP in a targeted mouse model of pseudoachondroplasia. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 18;9(2):e85145.
2. Gualeni B, Rajpar MH, Kellogg A, Bell PA, Arvan P, Boot-Handford RP, Briggs MD. A novel transgenic mouse model of growth plate dysplasia reveals that decreased chondrocyte proliferation due to chronic ER stress is a key factor in reduced bone growth. Dis Model Mech. 2013 Nov;6(6):1414-25.
3. Hartley CL, Edwards S, Mullan L, Bell PA, Fresquet M, Boot-Handford RP, Briggs MD. Armet/Manf and Creld2 are components of a specialized ER stress response provoked by inappropriate formation of disulphide bonds: implications for genetic skeletal diseases. Hum Mol Genet. 2013 Dec 20;22(25):5262-75.
4. Bell PA, Wagener R, Zaucke F, Koch M, Selley J, Warwood S, Knight D, Boot-Handford RP, Thornton DJ, Briggs MD. Analysis of the cartilage proteome from three different mouse models of genetic skeletal diseases reveals common and discrete disease signatures. Biol Open. 2013 Jun 18;2(8):802-11.
5. Radwan M, Gavriilidis C, Robinson JH, Davidson R, Clark IM, Rowan AD, Young DA. Matrix metalloproteinase 13 expression in response to double-stranded RNA in human chondrocytes. Arthritis Rheum. 2013 May;65(5):1290-301.